I'm retiring from Brandeis after 41 years
I decided to apply for the Voluntary Retirement Program which provides a year of full salary and medical with no teaching or service requirements, if you apply by 12/3/2025. My last day as a tenured Brandeis Professor will be in December 2026!
I started teaching at Brandeis in 1984 and in the past 41 years I've taught about 5000 students. Teaching has always been very rewarding for me and I've learned much from my students, and many of my former students have become life long friends.
I will miss teaching (though I may try to teach summer school courses). With my cancer journey, I can't guarantee that I can teach for 15 weeks straight without having to go back to the hospital for weeks at a time.
I have taught about 90 regular Brandeis courses, 30 Transitional Year Program courses, 10 Justice Brandeis Semester summer programs, 10 pre-college App Design programs, and about 50 independent study courses (both individual and group). It has been my honor and privilege to teach so many bright, curious, and ambitious students, and I will miss it!
I've also published about 100 papers that have received about 2400 citations. according to google scholar:
Pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge has also been very rewarding and in the process I have mentored 11 PhD students;
I was also chair of the Computer Science Department twice for a total of 12 years, and was chair of the Science Council for one year and chair of the Faculty Senate for two years, as well as serving on dozens of high impact committees. I enjoyed serving in leadership positions and doing what I could to help Brandeis better meet its mission.
If I didn't have stage IV Lung Cancer then I wouldn't think of retiring for a few more years at least. It is a very exciting time for Computer Science with the rise of sophisticated AI models able to do coding and theorem proving; it is challenging the profession to reimagine how we use AI to do research, development, and education... so exciting!
During my retirement I'll have more time to focus on beating this cancer, but also on developing the Mastery Learning App that I've been working on for the past 5 or so years, most recently with Profs Torrey and Merrill in the Math Department and Prof Tuson in Computer Science.
You will be missed forever!
ReplyDelete