Detour -- abdominal surgery and loss of left leg mobility

 Last Saturday 5/2/2026, at 10:30pm, I had the worst pain I had ever experienced  My belly was extremely bloated and very painful so Yas checked me into the ER and I got IV morphine. On Sunday at 4pm 5/3 I had abdominal surgery to cut out a 20cm section of my small intestine with a big hole in it. It’s not clear what caused it.  I wasn’t allowed eat or drink anything until my intestines started to work again by passing gas, which just barely started after 9 days on 5/11. We don't know the cause of the perforated colon, but tissue samples have been sent to the lab.

I've also lost motor control of most of my left leg, so I'll be transferred to Spaulding Acute Rehab hospital next week to regain my mobility.  I can pivot on my good leg to/from my bed and a commode or chair. We also don't know the cause of the mobility loss but its probably brain inflammation similar to last year.

They detected some AFIB episodes so put me on another medication and will have me wear a heart monitor for 2 weeks.

My liver function test have been getting worse, but not dangerously so, again without a clear cause, though I've had multiple scans (MRI, CT, ultrasound, etc.)  

Cancer is teaching me to live with uncertainty by taking each day for the gifts it brings.  Currently I'm focussed on end-of-life planning so if I die suddenly my loved ones won't have to worry too much about housing or basic necessities, and can focus on grieving and learning to live without me... but I also hope and plan to beat this cancer,,,,

My family has been very supportive and I’m focused on getting better by doing PT and sleeping as much as I can… My wife has visited almost every day.  Just being together is very comforting.  My children and siblings also keep in contact, which is wonderful..  



Comments

  1. Thank you once again, Tim, for the detailed update. This has been an especially hard month for you. We are confident that your positivity will get you through this challenging phase together with good care at Spaulding and lots of naps! Sending you our love and healing vibes, Jane and Jon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Unexpected Journey and a PSA - 7/27/2025

Coasting toward remission