Becoming Independently mobile in 10 days at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital - 10/4/25
My lung cancer journey had a big detour a few days before I was planning on starting immunotherapy when it metastasized to the motor and premotor cortex of my right frontal node. That led to paralysis of my left arm and leg which we treated with brain surgery to remove the tumor and xray cyberknife treatment to kill any remaining metastases in my brain near the tumor. The xray treatment caused more inflammation which further restricted my ability to move my left side.
Since the medical treatments were done, my next step was to go to the Spaulding Acute Rehabilitation Hospital in Charlestown MA for 10 days of Physical Therapy (2 hours/day) and Occupational Therapy (1-2 hours/day). I am also continuing to take a powerful steroid, Dexamethasone (7 times more powerful that prednasone), which has greatly reduced my brain inflammation to the extent that my left arm is completely functional again, my left thigh and calf are about half way back, but my left foot is not responding at all to my entreaties to wiggle toes, move up/down, tilt left/right .... so I can't do a left-legged tree pose yet!
I am so lucky to be able to be at this Rehabilitation Hospital; it was ranked 2nd in the nation and is amazing. It is sitting in a beautiful park next to Boston's inner harbor and I can watch the airplanes take off from Logan Airport across the harbor. My family has been visiting me regularly and taking me for walks around the grounds.
Healing is much easier when you are surrounded by physical beauty and loving support!
My PT therapists (Tori and Natalie) and my OT therapists (Kristen and Sam) have been amazing. When I arrived, I couldn't even use a walker. I was wheelchair bound and could barely pivot from bed to wheelchair and wheelchair to toilet and back. Now, I can walk (slowly and carefully) with a four pronged cane for half an hour or more, and I can stand and balance at a lectern or table for at least half an hour. I can also go up and down stairs (with a railing) holding my cane.
When I arrived I also wasn't able to pick up a plastic cup of water and drink it. I could partly open my hand and try to move it toward the cup, but it just didn't work. I couldn't type with two hands, but only hunt-and-peck type with my right hand. The steroids and OT therapy have worked miracles and I can now type full-speed with both hands.
The OT therapists also taught me how to use special equipment to get in and out of a chair in the bathtub to take a shower and they have been teaching me how to do practical things (that are quite challenging due to the pre-motor control deficits), like setting up and clearing off the dinner table, folding and hanging clothes, feeding the dog, etc. When the pre-motor cortex is inflamed you need to consciously tell your arms and legs what to do; they have forgotten how to coordinate multiple movements. It is as much a cognitive task as a physical task, and is quite tiring!
I am steadily lowering the steroid dose each week in October and will be off steroids in November. I will also be continuing Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy as an out-patient for the next few months. I'm confident that with 4 more weeks of (tapered down) steroids and 2 months of Physical Therapy I'll regain all or almost all of my left side functionality and will be able to start teaching some of my classes in person!
My discharge from Spaulding is Tuesday 10/7 at 8:30am and I'll go directly to see my oncologist, Dr. Costa, who will be managing my immunotherapy. He has ordered a genetic analysis of my brain tumor to see if it has the same mutations as my lung tumor. I'm still interested in participating in Clinical Trial and will find out if that is possible.
Here is the view out my 5th floor window with a plane taking off into the sunrise around 6:30 am. The sunrises (and sunset) have been spectacular, and I am so grateful that this cancer journey has been pain free and that with all the support I've been given, I've been able to meet all the challenges successfully so far.
Life is wonderful!
Comments
Post a Comment