The Journey Continues - a plan for a plan -- 9/2/2025
I just met with my Medical Oncologists, Drs Costa and Carradonna, and we have a plan for the treatment plan.
On Monday 9/8 I meet with the Brain Tumor Clinic and they decide how much radiation I will need, it will be 1, 3, or 5 consecutive weekdays of radiation to kill any remaining cancer cells that the brain surgery didn't remove. Once the number of treatments is determined they will schedule them as soon as they can, but it will need to be at least 2 weeks after my brain surgery (which was 8/28). Once the radiation is completed, I will need 4 weeks for the brain to heal from the radiation before I can start systemic immunotherapy. During that time, I can schedule an Ophthalmology exam for the clinical trial requirements as well as new CT scans, MRI scans, blood tests, etc which have to be completed at most 28 days before the clinical trial begins.
If I didn’t try for the clinical trial, the timeline would be essentially the same so it won’t delay the start of my systemic immunology treatment, so I would rather apply to be in the clinical trial to advance medical science (and maybe get a shot at a new, powerful, anti-cancer drug!)
So, it looks like I’ll be getting my first immunotherapy (Pembrolizumab/Keytruda) infusions (and maybe Dato-DXd) around the middle of October and they will repeat every 3 weeks for 2 years unless I have to stop due to overly severe Adverse Effects. My oncologists also said it is better not to get a port for infusions unless you really need it, that IVs are safer. I will be having periodic CT and/or MRI scans over the next month so if there are extensive new metastases, they will detect them and take appropriate action.
I’ll let everyone know how the Brain Tumor Clinic goes next Monday and when they actually schedule my radiation treatments, but at least there is a plan on the table, and I feel great and I’m still quite positive and optimistic about my long term survival!!

Comments
Post a Comment